Confirmation Requirements 2017 – 2018
- YOU ALREADY KNOW (through prior Faith Formation and esp. 7th/8th Gr. Sessions):
- How to use Scripture and the basic Catholic approaches to the Bible.
- Catholic tradition and history (overview and identification of major people & events)
- Traditional Catholic Prayers, (Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be, Nicene Creed,…)
- YOU HAVE DONE 20 SERVICE HOURS PRIOR TO ENROLLING IN THE PROGRAM. (10 in 7th gr., 10 in 8th gr.)
- YOU ARE ATTENDING MASS WEEKLY, AND ON HOLY DAYS OF OBLIGATION.
Precepts of the Church:
- Attend Mass on Sundays and holy days of obligation; rest from unnecessary work.
- Go to Confession at least once a year
- Receive Holy Communion at least once a year during the Easter season
- Observe the days of fasting and abstinence established by the Church
- Provide for the Church’s material needs, each according to his/her own ability (CC2041-43)
EXPECTATIONS FOR THIS YEAR:
Candidates must complete all of the following PRIOR to the Rite of Sending on April 3rd:
(Some candidates may be able to complete everything in one year. Others may take 2-3 years. You are welcome to take as long as you need to. We confirm as early as Spring of 9th grade.)
- PARTICIPATION IN FORMATION SESSIONS & RITES:
(Missing more than 2 Formation sessions and not making them up, will result in your being dropped from the program this year. You may rejoin the program next year without additional cost. Missed sessions must be made up by completing written assignments. See Cindy for those assignments.)
5. COMPLETION OF THE SPONSOR/CANDIDATE REFLECTION FORM
6. COMPLETION OF 4 RETREATS –
7. ATTEND SHARING AND CARING HANDS Service Project
8. ATTEND ALL 3 MASSES/SERVICES – Holy Thurs., Good Friday, Easter Vigil sometime over the course of 7th, 8th & Confirmation years. Please turn in a signed note verifying it.
9. COMPLETION OF 20 SERVICE HOURS AND THE RECORD AND REFLECTION FORMS:
(These hours must be completed during the year of Confirmation preparation.) 5 hours MUST be at St. William’s for Liturgical or Faith Formation Ministry:
- Personal/Individual – helping elderly, the sick, or homebound; raking leaves, cleaning, doing errands, babysitting etc. – (not at home, and not for pay.)
- 5 hours – At St. William’s – Liturgical Ministry (ushering, greeting, music etc.), or Faith Formation, assisting the Sunday or Wed. night programs. Adult assistance is needed for the Sunday Liturgy Ministries.
- Parish or Local Community – help with any Parish event, a dinner, social, fundraiser, teach, tutor or coach a younger group, Scouts, Kiwanis, School Carnival, VBS, etc.
10. MEET WITH SPONSOR BOTH FOR THE SCHEDULED SESSIONS AT CHURCH AND AT HOME AS NEEDED TO COMPLETE ASSIGNMENTS: For each Sponsor/Candidate session it is best that the Sponsor be there, but if they can’t, a parent must come in their place. It is important to at least have an adult with your candidate at the sponsor/candidate sessions.
11. PROVIDE A COPY OF YOUR BAPTISMAL CERTIFICATE IF YOU WERE NOT BAPTIZED AT ST WILLIAMS. (Due by the first candidate’s session.)